Tuesday, 20 October 2015

Tea tree oil for Acne

When I waxed my eyebrows for the first time, I woke up the next morning with tiny zits where the wax had touched my skin. They went away after a few days, but weren't very attractive. I still waxed them again, though. I just thought: maybe I had done something wrong.... The second time I didn't get any spots.


I did do something different though. I was using a wax kit from the pharmacy, and it contained those flimsy 'finishing wipes', that you're supposed to use to remove any remaining wax. I used those, as well as a moisturiser (which contained tea tree oil) to remove the wax.  I had given up using the moisturiser for it's intended purpose; it was too heavy and oily. As it was oil-based, I thought it would dissolve the wax well, which it did. The next morning, I had no spots. I know it was the tea tree oil because, if I wax by myself, or get them done, and don't apply this and wash off, I get red zits the next morning. 

The moisturiser I used: Tea tree & Witch Hazel Complexion Perfection Moisturiser.

Tea tree oil is native to Australia, and has the following properties:
  • anti-septic, and
  • anti-bacterial (Carson, Hammer and Riley)
  • anti-inflammatory; it can reduce histamine-induced inflammation (Koh et al.)
  • has been shown to be effective in treating acne (Bassett, Pannowitz , Barnetson)

It is a dry oil and is extremely potent, so I mix this with another lighter oil, like avocado or olive. I use one drop (tea tree) to a teaspoon ratio.

Growing up in Australia, tea tree oil was always in the bathroom cabinet. I have a few bottles now. The one pictured is from Bosisto's. I also have Thursday Plantation 100% Pure Tea Tree Oil

I love incorporating oils into my whole skincare routine from cleansing to eye cream. If you would like to see what I use click HERE.

xo, Amali




Bibliography

Koh, K.J. et al. 'Tea Tree Oil Reduces Histamine-Induced Skin Inflammation'. Br J Dermatol 147.6 (2002): 1212-1217. Web.

Carson, C. F., K. A. Hammer, and T. V. Riley. 'Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Oil: A Review Of Antimicrobial And Other Medicinal Properties'. Clinical Microbiology Reviews 19.1 (2006): 50-62. Web.

Bassett, Pannowitz , Barnetson,. 'A Comparative Study Of Tea-Tree Oil Versus Benzoylperoxide In The Treatment Of Acne'. Complementary Therapies in Medicine 6.3 (1998): 167. Web.

*amazon links are affliate links

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing~ I've wanted to try tea tree oil but wasn't sure :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...