Tuesday, 22 September 2015

Vitamins for Skin | Zinc | Part II

So here's the second supplement I occasional take. I bought it for the zinc, but it also happens to contain three others.

Zinc
I started taking zinc about two years ago. I would still get the occasional monthly spot and I whenever I would, the scarring and pigmentation would take so long to go away. So now I take zinc if I feel a spot coming on, and it really helps for it not to turn into a huge angry, red pimple. There are thousands of anecdotal accounts online of people with acne finding the cure when they take zinc; this could mean they were deficient before.

Vitamin C
Vit. C is the most plentiful antioxidant in human skin and works to protect the skin from free radicals from UV. It also is essential in collagen synthesis, and can also aid in hyperpigmentation (acne scars, uneven skintone) as we all inflammation (acne, rosacea).

Magnesium
For years, people have been using Dead Sea salt to cure various skin ailments. Actually I've always wanted to visit to the real Dead Sea just to see how beautiful it is in real life and experience the 'floating'. Nothing to do with skin, but I thought I'd throw that in there. The reason is believed to be is that these salts are rich in magnesium. A 2005 study showed that Dead Sea salt enhanced skin hydration, improved barrier function and reduced roughness and redness (Proksch et al.). That sounds promising.



How much I take: I take maybe three a month. There have been times where I have taken zinc for a week daily, but I try not to overdo this one as it is not recommended to take it routinely.
This particular kind also contains vitamin c and magnesium.

Benefits to hair loss and growth
Something I have also noticed is that my hair no longer falls out as much as it used to. A 2013 study pointed out that individuals with hair loss had lower serum zinc levels than the control group (Kil, Kim and Kim).

Links to Skin Health
  • Lower zinc levels have been associated with severity and type of acne (Mogaddam et al.,2014)
  • Zinc has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects and may decrease sebum production (Brandt, 2013)
  • Zinc sulphate has been found to be a good choice for treating rosacea (Gessert et al. 2013)
  • zinc  is important in studies of wound healing skin renewal (Schwartz, Marsh and Draelos)

I used Blackmores ZinvitC250. Here are some great zinc vitamins if you can't find this one:

Blackmores Zinc Treatment of Acne
Zinc for Acne 100 tabs
Nature's Bounty Chelated Zinc
Liquid Zinc


If you missed part I, click here, where I talk about the first vitamin I take; the most important one.



xo, Amali




Bibliography

Proksch, Ehrhardt et al. 'Bathing In A Magnesium-Rich Dead Sea Salt Solution Improves Skin Barrier Function, Enhances Skin Hydration, And Reduces Inflammation In Atopic Dry Skin'. International Journal of Dermatology 44.2 (2005): 151-157. Web.

Pumori ST. 'Vitamin C in dermatology'. Indian Dermatol Online J. 2013;4(2):143–146. Web.

Kil, Min Seong, Chul Woo Kim, and Sang Seok Kim. 'Analysis Of Serum Zinc And Copper Concentrations In Hair Loss'. Annals of Dermatology 25.4 (2013): 405. Web.

Rostami Mogaddam, Majid et al. 'Correlation Between The Severity And Type Of Acne Lesions With Serum Zinc Levels In Patients With Acne Vulgaris'. BioMed Research International 2014 (2014): 1-6. Web.


Brandt, S. 'The Clinical Effects Of Zinc As A Topical Or Oral Agent On The Clinical Response And Pathophysiologic Mechanisms Of Acne: A Systematic Review Of The Literature.'. J Drugs Dermatol. 12.5 (2013): 542-5.

Gessert, Charles E. et al. 'The Role Of Zinc In Rosacea And Acne: Further Reflections'. International Journal of Dermatology 53.1 (2013): 128-129. Web.

Schwartz, James R., Randall G. Marsh, and Zoe Diana Draelos. 'Zinc And Skin Health: Overview Of Physiology And Pharmacology'. Dermatologic Surgery 31 (2005): 837-847. Web.

*Amazon links are affliate links

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...