Saturday, 26 September 2015

Vitamins for Skin | What I take | Part III

Third and last segment of the supplements I take for healthy skin. Now, this one I don't take as much as I should, or at all really as I'm trying to convince myself that I can get it from food. But I really don't.

Omega-3 and -6 play an important role in how our skin functions and looks. The composition of skin can be modified by diet, as well as topical application of these essential fatty acids^.

'Brown flax seeds' by healthaliciousness licensed under CC BY 2.0

Links to Skin Health

  • these healthy fats have diverse roles, including maintaining the barrier functions, cell differentiation, inhibiting inflammation, promoting wound healing (McCusker and Grant-Kels)
  • supplementing omega-3 fatty acids and complementary topical treatment has been shown to aid psoriasis (Márquez-Balbás et al.)
  • photoprotective: supplementing certain omegas, as well as topical application, has shown to inhibit and reduce UV damage on skin (Kim et al.)
  • this in turn can benefit anti-ageing



I'm going to try and take in omegas from plants sources like seeds, greens and beans. And also consider taking a supplement.

To read about all the supplements I take, read Part I HERE and Part II HERE.







Bibliography (in order of reference)

^Ziboh VA, Chapkin RS. Biologic significance of polyunsaturated fatty acids in the skin. Arch Dermatol

McCusker, Meagen M., and Jane M. Grant-Kels. 'Healing Fats Of The Skin: The Structural And Immunologic Roles Of The Ω-6 And Ω-3 Fatty Acids'. Clinics in Dermatology 28.4 (2010): 440-451. Web.

Márquez-Balbás, Gemma, M Sánchez-Regaña, and Umbert Millet. 'Study On The Use Of Omega-3 Fatty Acids As A Therapeutic Supplement In Treatment Of Psoriasis'. CCID (2011): 73. Web.

Kim, H. H. 'Photoprotective And Anti-Skin-Aging Effects Of Eicosapentaenoic Acid In Human Skin In Vivo'. The Journal of Lipid Research 47.5 (2006): 921-930. Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...