Saturday, 19 September 2015

Vitamins for Skin | Vitamin D | Part I

So, I thought I would share what supplements I like to take for my skin. While, I no longer have acne, when I did (cystic all over my cheeks and small spots on my forehead), taking these helped me immensely. The real cure for me was changing my diet, but I know everyone is different and that isn't the solution for everyone.

Now, I don't take vitamins everyday. If you eat a balanced diet, it's possible to get all you need from food. But, let's be real here, a lot of people are vitamin deficient, and need the extra help. When I've had a weekend of indulgence, travel or just feel like my skin isn't looking it's best, I take whichever I need, not all of the at once, or on the same day.

Here are some facts and why I think each vitamin is important for skin health. Starting with what I think is the most important one.

Vitamin D
The best natural source is through UV from the sun, but if you live in a colder climate, it's winter, have darker skin, or an office job, you may be deficient.

Here are a few interesting statistics:
  • In Australia, 23% or 4 million adults had a Vit D deficiency (Australian Bureau of Statistics)
  • In the US, 24% were at risk for inadequacy and 8% were at risk of deficiency (U.S Department of Health and Human Services, 2001-2006)
  • In North India, 78% of healthy hospital staff and 84% of pregnant women were found to be deficient (International Osteoporosis Foundation)
  • Up to 79% of Iranian and 80% of Saudi Arabian teenage girls had levels below sufficiency (International Osteoporosis Foundation)

Ok, so that's millions of people. Is this not some type of epidemic? And I was one of them about two years ago. I had just got the results of a blood test, and I was so low that I had to take four a day (1000IU each) for a few months and one a day for a year! Now I take one or two when I feel like it. Especially during the winter. One thing that I noticed at the time was that after a while, I was breaking out a lot less and the smaller spots on my forehead were gone. My skin also became wayyy less of an oil producing extravaganza!

Darker Skin
People with naturally darker skin may need longer exposure because the higher amount of melanin affects UV penetration.

Link to Skin Health
  • Vitamin D has antimicrobial properties through the production of peptides^
  • skin is the site of synthesis for Vitamin D^
  • vitamin D synthesis is related to skin cell (keratinocyte) grown and differentiation^

I currently use Swisse Vitamin D, but I'm not too fussed. Here are some great options!

xo, Amali



Bibliography

Abs.gov.au,. '4364.0.55.006 -  Australian Health Survey: Biomedical Results For Nutrients, 2011-12'. N.p., 2015. Web.

Cdc.gov,. 'Homepage Of The National Center For Health Statistics'. N.p., 2015. Web.

Iofbonehealth.org,. 'International Osteoporosis Foundation | Bone Health'. N.p., 2015. 2015.

Aub.edu.lb,. 'American University Of Beirut - AUB Home - Home'. N.p., 2015. Web.

Bartley, Jim. 'Vitamin D: Emerging Roles In Infection And Immunity'. Expert Review of Anti-infective Therapy 8.12 (2010): 1359-1369. Web.

^Pappas, Apostolos. 'The Relationship Of Diet And Acne'. Dermato-Endocrinology 1.5 (2009): 262-267. Web.

*Amazon link(s) are affliate links

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...