Saturday, 12 September 2015

5 Foods For Glowing skin

So, yesterday I talked about what foods actually accelerate ageing (depressing, I know), so today I thought it would only be fair if I shared what you can eat for glowing skin!

Water
I used to go about my day and hardly drink any water. I would go to lectures, and just have a couple of sips after lunch, and drag myself across campus like the zombie that I was. I didn't notice it at the time, but I was always tired. I would rely on cappuccinos and soy lattes to get me through most days, and would convince myself it was because I was a coffee connoisseur. I wasn't. Upping my water intake water is the second-best thing I have done for my skin. The first is here. But that's to do with how I got rid of acne. My skin feels brighter and plumper now that drinking water isn't a chore but a habit.

Tips
Drink two glasses of water after you wake up and before you go to bed.
Drink more if you are working out.
There is such a thing as water intoxication.

Greens
Blending kale, spinach or collards with frozen fruit is an easy easy way to get those nutrients and antioxidants into your system! I've been making blended green juices for the past couple of weeks and I definitely notice less breakouts and more brightness in my skin, especially under the eyes! (I used to be iron deficient).



Vitamin C + Antioxidants
Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant in human skin. It has a protective effect where it works against UV damage^ and is also essential for collagen synthesis^. The obvious source of antioxidants and vitamins are fruits, but greens are great for Vit. C, while peppers, broccoli and peas are also high in this skin healing property.

Green Tea 
Green tea includes polyphenols and carotenoids which have a positive affect on skin properties. Studies (see bibliography) have shown that green tea increased oxygen delivery and blood flow to the skin, as well protect skin from UV radiation.

Nuts and Seeds
Almonds, pumpkin seeds and flax seeds are just a few ways to achieve glowing skin. Nuts and seeds contains zinc, vitamin e, omegas, as well as many other minerals to keep your skin plump and ready for repair. A 2011 study by Neukam et al. showed supplementing daily with flaxseed oil decreased skin roughness, while hydration and smoothness was increased.

'Marcona Almonds' by Jonathan Pincas licensed under CC BY 2.0


 Do you like green juices? Comment below! Adding fruit is the way to go, you won't taste the spinach at all!

xo, Amali



Bibliography


Fernández-García, Elisabet. 'Skin Protection Against UV Light By Dietary Antioxidants'. Food & Function 5.9 (2014): 1994. Web.

BOYERA, N., I. GALEY, and B.A. BERNARD. 'Effect Of Vitamin C And Its Derivatives On Collagen Synthesis And Cross-Linking By Normal Human Fibroblasts'. International Journal of Cosmetic Science 20.3 (1998): 151-158. Web.

Heinrich, U. et al. 'Green Tea Polyphenols Provide Photoprotection, Increase Microcirculation, And Modulate Skin Properties Of Women'. Journal of Nutrition 141.6 (2011): 1202-1208. Web.

Neukam, K. et al. 'Supplementation Of Flaxseed Oil Diminishes Skin Sensitivity And Improves Skin Barrier Function And Condition'. Skin Pharmacol Physiol 24.2 (2011): 67-74. Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...