Friday, 4 September 2015

10 Dairy-Free Ways to get Calcium

I ordered a soy latte a while ago and my friend asked me (genuinely) how I get calcium since I don't drink milk. I think we have all watched a little too many milk commercials growing up. But, now that I'm taking being dairy-free more seriously, I've been asking myself this too. So if you're lactose intolerant, vegan or not the biggest fan of cheese, here are some non-dairy sources calcium! Adults on average need about 1000 mg a day according to Osteoporosis Australia and the FDA.


Soy milk
Soy milk can contain 360 mg of calcium per cup. Many non-dairy milks are often fortified with calcium so it's an easy and quick way to top up.  

Oranges
An unlikely source - fruit! If you eat an orange with your breakfast, you get 66 mg.

Collard greens and Kale
There's 357 mg of calcium in one cup of chopped collard greens, and 94 mg in a cup of kale. Kale also contains three times the daily requirement of Vitamin A. This goes for a lot of dark green leafy greens.

Kale! by Bobbi Bowers licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0

Tahini
If you want a dressing or dip for lunch, try tahini with 66 mg of calcium per tablespoon. Made from sesame seeds, it is also a great source of omegas.

Brazil Nuts and Almonds
Most nuts and seeds contain a good amount of calcium, brazil nuts happen to boast 53 mg per ten nuts. Almonds have 30 mg per 10. Nuts are a great snack, packed with protein, as well as heart healthy fats.

Tofu
One of my favourite things to eat, grilled or in a stir fry, tofu gives a a whopping 832 mg per cup.  

Figs
Time for dessert! If you have a sweet tooth, indulge in a cup of dried figs for a modest 242 mg of calcium. You'll also be getting a hefty dose of fiber, potassium and magnesium!

Figs by askmir licensed under CC BY SA-2.0

Products fortified with calcium
There are many products on the market that are fortified with calcium like cereals, desserts and drinks to make your life a little easier.


These are not the only sources of calcium just a few that I think are tasty as well as relatively high in calcium! I've found if I eat a varied diet, and up my greens intake it's easy to eat the required daily dose!

Happy munching!  




Bibliography

Osteoporosis.org.au,. 'Osteoporosis Australia'. N.p., 2015. Web. 4 Sept. 2015.

Ndb.nal.usda.gov,. 'NDL/FNIC Food Composition Database Home Page'. N.p., 2015.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this really helpful information. My mum is lactose intolerant and I will be sure to pass this info onto her. Great post. Sammie www.feastingisfun.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...