Tuesday, 11 August 2015

I gave up Dairy and Became Acne Free

When I was 19, I decided to stop drinking milk. I didn't really have a good reason. I never could drink it straight and it was around the time I started getting cystic acne. I had read that milk could be a contributing factor and that it also contained pus... So I switched to soy milk. Yeah, it didn't work. I still had spots. Less, to be honest and some of the redness had subsided, but not enough to be 'cured'. I never switched back to cows' milk though; the taste and smell and the pus. No.

Over the next two years I went on two rounds of antibiotics, which gave me clear skin. Until I came off them. And I was back to square one, but worse. Because now, I also had drier, thinner skin and chapped lips. I'll do a detailed review of the antibiotics I took in a future post. To cut a long story short: don't take them.

All I was doing was treating the symptoms and not the cause. If you take the doctor's route to find a solution to your acne, this is is how they will treat you too. It was around this time that I decided to take a holistic approach to my health, and one of the things I did was become completely dairy free. I did cheat here and there and not read labels sometimes, but overall I wasn't drinking or eating obvious high-dairy foods like yoghurt, ice cream and cheese. If I did waver, and eat some frozen yoghurt, I noticed the next day, in the form of a pimple or two. Coincidence? I think not. This is how I became certain dairy was the culprit.

'got milk?' by Leandro Martinez licensed under CC BY 2.0

I didn't realise how addicted to cheese and ice cream I was until I tried to wean myself off them. After a few weeks, it became easier, and now, I don't miss dairy at all. Not to mention, there are amazing alternatives.

There is no doubt in my mind that there is a huge link between dairy and skin health. I wish I had done this sooner. Within a week, I stopped getting new big red pimples and it's been a few years since then, and I am completely acne and dairy free. I wish I took pictures of when it was at it's worst, but I hated taking photos at the time, and was always wearing foundation when I did. When I find my old phone selfies, I will update though haha!

If you want more rational and research based reasons as to why dairy is linked to acne, stay tuned for my next post! Until then, comment below with what helped you! If you have acne, try going dairy free, you have nothing to lose, except your spots!

xo, Amali.

4 comments:

  1. heeey! hope you have a great day! do you want to follow each other via bloglovin? if yes, just follow me there and i'll follow you back soon! http://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/anna-alina-3947784

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for opening my eyes. I read your post few days ago and decided to cut on dairy for few days to see if it works.

    And gues what? It actually did!

    I have been going dairy free few months ago to loose some weight and had very clear skin, but then I didn't realised at the time why was my skin looking so good. Now I can see what was the biggest cause for those nasty red pimples! I am a huge milky produtcs lover, so I don't know how I am going to keep up, but I will try my best! Thanks for a great post xx

    Indre,
    www.curvyliciousme.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I'm so happy for you!! After a while you don't miss it at all, but I had really hard time giving up cheese, especially pizza! There are a few good products out there, like soy or almond ice cream, and vegan cheeses! Amali xo

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...